Since its introduction in 1955, play-dough has entertained kids of all ages. This non-toxic and colorful modeling clay is a wonderful activity for kids, as it boosts their creativity and imagination along with keeping them busy for hours. The little engineers love molding shapes out of it. This kids-friendly game is so popular among little ones that it’s frequently considered as a party favors for kids. The prepackaged play dough is available with most grocery stores and even in party supplies stores such as MyBirthdaySupplies. However, if you cannot / don’t want to buy it, here is a step-by-step guide of making play-dough at home.
Things you will need
- One cup all-purpose flour
- One cup Luke warm water
- 2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 pack unsweetened koolaid
- Food coloring
Directions for making
- Mix all these ingredients and blend well so that there are no lumps. Use a non-stick pan for mixing so that you can directly proceed to the next step.
- Heat the mixture on a medium flame while constantly stirring it. Within a couple of minutes the mixture will start thickening and will begin to lump up.
- Keep stirring the mixture as its gets harder and harder. You will have to start scratching the bottom of the pan for stirring it.
- When it becomes harder to stir the mixture, start flipping it. Now, you will be able to clearly see the color difference between the cooked and the uncooked one that will appear lighter and pale.
- Soon the mixture will start getting the form of dough. Keep flipping and cooking the mixture until there is no color difference indicating that it is properly cooked.
- Remove the dough from heat and knead it well. If the dough is sticky, add some vegetable oil to it and knead it till it stops sticking.
- Spread it out on a flat surface for cooling. Let it cool completely before you store it in airtight containers.
When stored properly, this modeling clay is sure to last for about a month. It is easy to clean up and therefore, is less messy. Pack them in attractive boxes and use them as party favor for kids. For more interesting party ideas, visit MyBirthdaySupplies.